Monday, September 20, 2010

And then I met a Hippie

I walked my bike up the steps of the pavilion, and sat with my friends. Next to us there was a guy cooking spagettios on a little travel stove. And behind him, in the park's parking lot sat his beautiful spray painted bus. So we stay there and talk for a few hours, never really interacting with the man until he offers us some coffee he's brewing on the stove, and asks me to watch his stuff while he fills up his water jug.

Night time, I'm playing guitar on the swings. Walk over to pavilion to get my water. The man is gone, but a book he was reading is still there. It's Henry David Thoreau's Walden. I notice his van starting up, and I run over to give back his book. I think I startled him, but he rolled down the window and I said,
"You left your book"
"I'm giving it to you"
I'm really warmed by this and tell him thanks because I've been wanting to read it for a while. He tells me about some other books I should read, and writes them down. I end up giving him directions, turns out he is driving from Arizona to New York. And he says,
"Whatever you do, get out of this town as soon as you can" He's pointing to my town on the map.

When he leaves I flip through the book, and take out a note that he left inside. It says,
"You seem like the intellectual type. If you read anything make sure you read this, and Allen Watt's This Is It. Always be kind and pass on good vibes."

1 comment:

  1. Wow, It's very rare when you meet someone like that. So nice and kind.

    ReplyDelete